This year (or technically, next year) I’m doing my goals a little bit differently. For the past three years, I’ve set up publishing objectives and schedules. These have been based on the bigger picture of becoming a full-time author. I’ve had spreadsheets and timelines and while it did help me do a lot in a short amount of time, it didn’t allow enough for celebration or changing my mind.
Cause I do change my mind. A lot. The big picture has changed, so the goals need to as well. New ideas, new experiences, improving my skills, mindset shifts… these things happen. And they should happen. But fixed goals and fluid experience do not go hand in hand!
I believe in experimentation, because if we don’t try things how can we possibly know if it resonates with us? 2016 has been trying to teach me that this is okay. I think it has also been trying to teach me that we all contribute the most when we are wholly ourselves; when we are in our element.
My fiction is experimental, my art is experimental, and I have delighted in the experimental nature of zines and paper dying. Why not embrace this, instead of trying beat it into line?
So the big picture has changed from ‘full-time author’ to just being the best version of me that I can; permission to let go.
- Year one of my post-grad dip in counselling.
- A picture book The Train to Nowhere that has been waiting for my attention for FOUR YEARS.
- More (wo)manpower – and MANpower – zines.
- The third annual NZ Young Writers’ Anthology.
- The first annual Indie Annual .
- More non-fiction about writing and art, starting with Where Do Ideas Come From? And I am a Writer.
- More crazy stories in my fiction world.
- Zines! I’m letting these be whatever they want to.
- Art. Ditto as per zines.
What’s something you’re looking forward to doing in 2017?